Sunday, June 1, 2008

Hand signals for dog training Lucy

I read that dogs understand non-verbal communication better such as hand signals. I have definately observed this with Lucy. Sunday afternoon at a local park in Cary, Stuart and I did a run through of our best "sign language" with Lucy and took photos of each one.

First command: "Sit" using a closed fist and maintaining eye contact. Lucy sits immediately:



Second command: "Down" with a flat hand, palm down. Lucy knows this one very quickly too.


Third command: "Paw" or "Left Paw" and "Right Paw" holding hand out, palms up. Here her paw reached my hand. Eye contact is also important here.


Forth command: With hands flat, palms upwards - I made this one up - saying "Dance!" and Lucy rises to the occassion and sniffs my hand for treats.

No comments: