Friday, June 20, 2008

Is there an indestructible dog toy?

Trying to find the indestructible dog toy that's interesting is, well, very difficult.

Exhibit A: The items/toys that Lucy chewed through in one morning at my office:


It's a struggle keeping an Austrailian Shepherd/Jack Russell Terrier Mix occupied and interested in a toy;really it is. The Kong, at first, was brillant. I'd stuff it with treats and at first it took her a good 10 or 15 minutes to figure it out. That lasted about 2 weeks. Now she can wriggle those treats out of it in like 2 minutes flat...or less. Perhaps I need to find some softer treats and use more peanut butter to make it more difficult.

Then there are the stuffed toys that squeak. She *loves* those but destroys them in minutes of aggressive chewing and playing. Today at lunch I bought her a little soft stuffed toy for dogs. She went crazy for it. I could even leave my office door open and nothing could take her attention away. But then I heard a ripping sound. It lasted a good 5 minutes, more than most, but then I had to take it away from her. She was upset. I tried to distract her with this new "indestructible" chew toy - Hard Core Fire Hose. It's a red stick with a squeaky interior. She liked it for a minute or two but got bored. She wanted me to play fetch with her, which I can't do while at work, at least not well and it's distracting.

2 comments:

David Grant said...

Ah, she's adorable!

An indestructible dog toy? For a Jack Russell Terrier mix? Ha. Yeah, an iron gate. Oh, em...no...no, that won't work either. My friend, Mager's Jack Russell destroyed his. Maybe something made of titanium?

Visit my blog as well!
http://www.canyonroaddavid.blogspot.com/

Have a great time this weekend!

Anonymous said...

only toy we've found in 16 years of dog ownership is the kong!